Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Boracay: Dentist and Fish Market

We had an exciting morning...
A couple days ago I started to notice some sensitivity on an upper left tooth. The next day Bailey got a nasty cough and yucky eyes, so I took her to the doctor. Lucky for me, it was a medical/dental clinic! The doctor was great. He came in in boardshorts and flip flops. He is a doctor from Manila that is doing what they call "vacation rotation." Where they come to these resort places (vacation) but are on call 24 hours a day for two weeks straight (rotation). He said "The only real vacation part is I get to wear shorts to work." For the check up and 2 prescriptions, it cost me$17 (which so wonderful because we only have catastrophic insurance, so we pay out of pocket for everything. That would've cost $200 at home). While I was there I scheduled a dentist appointment for the next day. So convenient! It's like wal-mart for medical attention.
I'm so glad I scheduled that appointment because my tooth got worse and by the end of the day it was throbbing. Laci has been wanting to have a couple of her teeth filed a little, so she decided to come with me and see about it. I was a little nervous, but the dentist, "Vivian", was very nice and knew what she was doing. Even though her room was small and hot, she seemed to have all the latest dental equipment. (Are you freaking out for me Shelbie?) So I had a filling done back in Nov. which was right next to an old one and there was a crack between the two that was causing my pain. She numbed me up good, drilled one of the fillings out, and replaced it. I did not feel a thing except a poke from the shot. The rest was COMPLETELY painless! I was amazed. The whole procedure took about 45 minutes and cost me $14. Again, it easily would've cost me $250 at home. I'm taking both my kids in for checks and fillings, if needed, while we're here. Laci got her cosmetic filing done for $4!
Then we headed to the Fish Market. It's actually a really great place. The fish part is a little scary, but it's surrounded by fruit and vegetable stands, which are surrounded by souvenir stands. So we started on the outside and worked our way in. I got the girls little matching dresses and some things for my young women for girls camp. Then we got some great fruits and veggies and made our way to the meat...
Hungry? (notice all the flies)
Check out that fish head! It's as big as Laci's head!
I bought 2 chickens from here (I don't do fish). They were whole, but I asked the cute old lady to cut them up for me. So glad I did that! She pulled some fun stuff out middle and was not so cute and old with her cleaver! Still, it cost me $5 for 2 chickens and Laci got a kilo of shrimp (which was like 4 big handfuls) for $4. (Michelle, all these prices are for you. I know you love to hear about a good bargain!)
I couldn't resist going all touristy and taking a video!

9 comments:

heather said...

you are so brave..in more ways that one!! I love reading your posts!!

heather said...

BTW...so jealous of your tan, it is snowing here today...oh how I miss the sun!!

Jolley's said...

okay, that post just re-iterated the reasons on why I do NOT LIKE fish!!! EWWW....creepy crawly...yucky!

Thanks for the price break down. I do appreciate a good deal!

Steve said...

That fish actually looks pretty fresh. If you are going to buy fish, which you should, make sure the eyes are clear... dont buy fish if the eyes are all foggy, or red. Clear eyes means its fresh. Get the fish and throw the whole thing in a steamer with some onions and garlic... then put some soy sauce on it... Delicious.

I dont know how they have the meat set out in PH, but in China you can buy your chicken breasts all cut up right on the street... just sitting on a wood table baking in the hot sun all day!!! Salmonella anyone???

Compared to China, that food looks really good!

Steve said...

forgot to mention... make sure you dont eat the chicken butt. its the triangular piece at the end. supposedly causes cancer... that plus its a butt.

Tim, Shelbie, Hudson, Lex and Navy J said...

Seriously Kim you are so brave!!

Leslie said...

WOW you are sooo brave and that is great that it turned out so good for you and soooo cheap!!!!! SCORE!!!! and that lobster the guy showed was HUGE!!!!! too pretty to eat!! but oh sooo good!!!!!! I am happy to hear the dental work went good and you are now pain free!!!!:)

JEN MARX said...

ewwww... disgusting! I hate sea food! I think it would be worth it for me to fly to the phillipines just for dental care with my track record! That's awesome! :)

Stephi said...

great I found your site! I will go to Boracay in April and want to go to the dentist there. Do you have any contact number or adress or name of the dental clinic?
Thank you so much!