Friday, January 29, 2010

Sleeping Together

You know I like to blog about randomness in my life like laundry, shoes, and my over-weightedness . I just think it's fun to record these things about my life at any given moment in time and guess what? You're the nerd that reads it.
So, let me tell you a little about our sleeping habits. . .
This may come as a surprise, but John is a cuddler. You know on mattress commercials there's always a beautiful couple, sleeping peacefully, wrapped in each other's embrace? This is John's ideal night's sleep. I'm okay with it until I actually want to sleep and I have to shake free of his sweaty, dead weight hug to get comfy on my tummy. Seriously, I'm a tummy sleeper (which makes pregnancy sleepless).
My bed is the very, very, very, very best in all the world. I sleep on the right (on your right as your looking at the picture) for two reasons; it's closest to the bathroom and closest to the door, so I can be up and out in a flash whenever a child whimpers.
That brown blanket on the bottom is just decoration. It comes off at night. The only blanket we use is the down comforter with a cover on it. No top sheet. This is my way of sleeping since high school that I forced John into.
When I was pregnant with Adeline, my Grandma Marilynn gave all the married couples a memory foam pad for their beds. We returned it without even giving it a try. A month or so later I went to visit my grandma. I was 7 months pregnant and not sleeping well until I laid in her guest bed. I was floating on a heavenly cloud! I asked her about that bed and she said "memory foam!" I can't believe I returned the one she bought me. When John picked me up from the airport at the end of my trip, I made him stop at Costco and re-buy that pad. It's been on my bed ever since and it's truly heaven on earth.

We both have memory foam pillows now.

John has added our most recent bed accessory. An electric blanket. This is a blanket with coils running through to heat it. It's actually under our memory foam, so it heats the bed without the itchy fleece that it's made out of touching our skin.
I learned something about myself. Heat makes me have weird dreams. Really. I was too hot and was have all kinds of hallucinations. Thank goodness this is a duel zoned blanket, so I could turn my side off. The only down side to it is that when we get in bed, John's side is nice and toasty and my side is ice cubes. John doesn't think this is a down side because it forces me to cuddle up to him. (Side story- after we'd only been married a few weeks, we stayed a couple nights with my good friend Michelle and her husband in their apartment. Their guest bed was a twin. We slept in it together. John said it was his best nights sleep to date. I told you, he is a serious cuddler). So now we spoon until the cool side of the bed is inviting to me. I flop onto my tummy and enter normal-dreamland.

One last tid-bit...This is the last thing I see before bed and first to see in the morn...
This painting hung in my Grandma Marilynn's house in Torrence above her couch. I remember laying on the couch and staring up at it. When she moved to her Laugna Niguel house, it hung in her guest room. When we moved to our house, there was some kind of problem that forced my grandparents to take the painting off the wall. Days after I thought "I wonder how much it would be to commission an artist to make a replica," my grandma called and said she'd rather not rehang it and thought I might want it for my new home. I complimented my Gram for being so connected to me with a "Heck Yea!" This is the one item I would save if my house burned to the ground. That's what I get for being the favorite granddaughter!

And that is the oh so interesting story of John and I sleeping together.

(HAHA! Tricked you)

3 comments:

Janet said...

I sleep on my tummy, too! Can't sleep any other way. I also love my bedding ~ down comforter and pillows and and down alternative featherbed under the 300 count 100% cotton sateen sheets. LOVE IT! I also have the wall I look at filled with things that I love. I could have written this post!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your posts Kim they make me laugh. It is nice to just ramble once in a while. lol

SteveL said...

Hi, Kim, small world!

I've used John's service in the past to hire outsourcing. This is a very interesting article to me for several reasons.

I like to cuddle also and my wife says if she tries to "escape" I form a "death grip" on her, lol.

I also do reviews on memory foam and did a video for youtube where we reviewed the Costco memory foam mattress topper.

It might be interesting to some of your readers and got almost 50,000 views in the first year.

Thanks again for an enjoyable article. I've bookmarked it for my readers and posted a blog comment about it.