Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I need your opinion for my new curtains

Here are my old curtains (picture taken for a shower so ignore the decorations).
I've never really loved them. I put them up October 2008. The only reason I remember that is because just days after reluctantly getting them up, my friend Ellen came over said "Look how cute! You've decorated for Halloween and you even have Halloween curtains!" When I told her "No! They are my real curtains." She back pedaled with some comment about not having her contacts in and I just laughed. I thought it was funny, but it made my iffy feelings about my curtains turn to more dislike.
Obviously I didn't care so much to do something about it until now. So here are a few pictures of my house (which is clean- thank you very much). This is above my cabinets in my kitchen.

I've been in this RED phase for like our whole marriage, but am starting to ween myself out of it. I think it's a little formal. I'm adding more blues and greens, which I think lightens things up a bit. I can't let go of red completely.
We have this picture of Christ that John loves- wearing red
I just replaced our family pictures in our family room. There are blues and greens in them- no red.
This is my fireplace. I have all- red, green and blue
So here's the blue curtains. I know it's hard to tell without seeing the whole picture, but humor me and use your imagination. (day and night pics of both, just because you know, I'm neurotic like that)
You can see the color blue in this picture with my jammie clad girls above.

And here's my classic red that my sister said already has her vote- sight unseen.
Now this just throws some excitement into the mix. I bought these awesome red damask curtains online, but am having second thoughts. I am thinking they might be too busy. I'm also worried that Ellen is going to come over and compliment me on my new Valentines curtains. She's had lasik, so no excuses now, E!
I LOVE this print, but not sure if I want it hanging from every wall in my family room and kitchen. Maybe I could just make some pillows out of it?
You see, I have this whole wall of windows to cover (2 are new), plus one in the kitchen you can't see. This is why I'm being picky with this decision.
So what do you think?

14 comments:

Kelly said...

okay, so here's my opinion...if you want to go blue then I say go for the blue...they are very cute! But if you like red the red ones are still cute too. I like the pattern as well, but you are right it's very busy..better used for a pattern on a pillow.So, i'm sure I wasn't much help. If I had to pick though, I'd pick.........ummm.......blue!

Janet said...

I love the red print! I also like the plain red. Not crazy about the blue - too shiny and too light to me. If your think the print is too much (I don't) then do red curtains and pillows in the print.

Thanks for asking!

Dana DeLuca said...

I would do red on the main windows and short kitchen curtains on the window above your sink with the pattern. What about a pretty soft green? You didn't give me enough options;)

Jolley's said...

hmmm...I think I actually like the solid red curtains the best with pillows made out of the print like someone else said. If you really want to go blue, perhaps there's a better blue with a print where you could do the same idea...just a thought. :)

laura said...

Go with the damask. It's great! That's my vote!

Cami said...

So, now that I've seen it - kind of, I need to come in person - I still vote red. Blue is pretty, but just not you. And, unless you are planning on changing your decor in your kitchen a lot, red just goes better with your house and personality still!
Wouldn't it be cute to find a fabric with red and blue in it for pillows? I need to go to the fabric store too sometime - we could make it a date!
PS - Did you wake up with images of a large, barely dressed, trained human?

Anonymous said...

I would do the solid red on most of them, the print red by the dinning table, and then red print pillows on your couch to compliment. I LOVE the print by the way very cute!

Harmony said...

Here's my two cents. I love the red. I think the blue maybe is a little too light since your walls are light as well. I would put the red all along the back wall (love the new windows by the way) and use the patterned damask in the kitchen. (Hem them to be shorter, the kitchen is the only place where that really looks good.)Then use any extra damask panels you have to make throw pillows for your sectional. You could also make a cornice board for the two windows in the kitchen with the same damask. Since (in my opinion) the kitchen curtains won't go all the way to the floor a matching cornice board won't be too busy looking.

Wow! That was long. Did you make it all the way to the end??

Harmony said...

Oh, one more thing...ok, two.
First, I went back and read through your other friends comments and realized I kind of said some of the same stuff. So I agree with Dana.
Second, if you want to just find fabric for pillows like Cami was suggesting you should go to "Home Fabrics". Have you ever been there? It's in Orem by Michael's on University Pkwy. Anyway, it's awesome and has great drapery, pillow and upholstery fabric. Nice strong stuff that will hold up with lots of use from active little kids. Whatever you do make sure you HAVE FUN!

Cyndi said...

Of course I love the red print...but you do have a lot of windows...it might be too much. I really don't want to say the plain red because I WANT to love the blue. I want to help you move past the red. However, it's just not going to happen. I vote red! With accident pillows in the red print, blue and even your old black and white curtains. Oh, I agree with the others about mix it up with the shorter kitchen windows in the red print.

I love being a part of your home decor.

Valerie said...

I love blue, but not for this decision. I think the damask is the choice. I love it! The blue is too shiny for all of those windows, the red, too much color, the damask the perfect balance of casual meets charming. When you have a smaller design like this, it doesn't scream busy. I don't think you will get sick of it. If that is your main concern, do some of the windows with a valance, and mix in some solid fabric maybe? Take your time, whatever you do will be great, you do such a good job.

Leslie said...

Well I would go with the solid red ones! :) and the other red print ones. If you have all red it might make the rooms seem smaller since they are a dark color. And it might be too much red, but if you use the solid ones and the other red ones to help break up the redness. I am just not a huge fan of blue, seeing I have had to use it in ALLL my boys rooms for soooooo many years!!!! LOL Ellen is soooo funny!!! :) it's sometimes easier to tell when you are actually there in the room instead of her on the computer. You never called me for help with organizing your house, looks like you got it done. I am always willing to help you!!!! just let me know. :)

Unknown said...

Red, because it warms up the space! From a random we never met, first time reading your blog, reader!

Unknown said...

I mean the red pattern is the best, and if you ever decide to junk it, may I have it?!