Saturday, April 25, 2009

Holy Hannah Montana

When I was a freshman at Utah State, and trying to break the Utah lingo that was embedded deep in my soul (Oh My Heck!), I adapted a new phrase "Holy Hannah." Super cool and so not "Utah Mormon."
The next year, in beauty school in Provo, I stepped up my cool, by adding "Montana" to my phrase.
So any cute guy to walk by, any great late night burrito, or any bad hair day, all got the same statement "Holy Hannah Montana." See how great and versatile it is? I loved it and felt mature and educated saying it, so you can imagine my complete and utter shock one day; years later as a first time mom, when I let the Disney Channel stay on too long and Dora the Explorer turned to "Hannah Montana." What the HECK!!!With an "achy breaky heart", I retired my much loved saying and began festering a bitterness toward "Hannah Montana" aka Mylie Cyrus.
I rolled my eyes when she came to the Stadium of Fire last year. My insides churned when I saw she is now on the "silver screen." Did you see her on Idol gives back? Holy frijole (like that one?) it was bad! And can you imagine how I felt when a few weeks ago I found out she would be performing on American Idol? I had my finger on the fast forward button and was ready to skip her whole performance that could only be plagiarized, as her name is...

Then I listened...

"Ain't about how fast I get there. Ain't about what's waiting on the other side. It's the climb."

Okay, so it's not a new concept. Recently I heard Garth Brook's song "The Dance." Same message.

I guess Mylie is kind of pretty. Oh, there really is talent in her voice. Uh-Oh, she's growing on me...

I was having a particularly frustrating day this week and reheard her song in the car. I turned it up. My frustration? Not my 3 cute kiddos, or my ever-pleasing husband. Not even the allergies that begged me to scratched my eyes out of their sockets. And no, it wasn't even my mom and sister arguing about bridal shower food. It was....

....the bane of all my existence....


...MY WEIGHT!!!!

"Ain't about how fast I get there. Ain't about what's waiting on the other side. It's the climb"

I realized that my mortal enemy had just spoken peace to my soul. Suddenly I am so thankful that I wasn't born to be thin. Because of my weight issues, I have sought out, researched, studied and spoken to anyone who would listen about weight, diet, health, food, muscles, fat, exercise, etc, etc. I am armed with knowledge and with that knowledge, I can raise a healthy and happy family. This is what's important. Not my ever bulgy belly.

At dinner that night, John informed that corn is his least favorite of the vegetables. "It's not a vegetable" I responded, without thinking. That is health 101 that I probably learned in my very first weight watcher's class many years ago. "It's a grain," I explained. "It's not as good for you as a vegetable. Eat the broccoli instead." He was impressed and I felt empowered because that was just the beginning of my ever-growing knowledge on all things health.

So before I got in bed, I looked at myself in the mirror, in only my unders, and just had to say "Holy Hannah Montana, you look good, Girl."

12 comments:

Bonnie @HobbytoHOT said...

You ALWAYS look GREAT!

Kelly Fam said...

That's an awesome post! And Holy cow girl, you do look good!

Cami said...

Good for you - you do look good and I'm glad you know it! I like how you use the term weight issues like you have been obese ever. I love this post!

Leslie said...

You always look good Kim!!!!! even when I have seen you just around town, you are a natural beauty!! I wish I was! LOL you should be so proud of yourself!!!! what a huge accomplishment it is to lose weight!!!!

JEN MARX said...

The only "ISSUES" you have are in your head! You are beautiful! :)

Kurst said...

Kim you look AMAZING!!! I think you should be extremely proud of yourself, you've worked really hard and you deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Janet said...

Great post, Kim! I love your family picture and blog colors. I usually don't see it because I read blogs in google reader, but since I made a comment I got to see. I hope one day I can be happy for the "weight struggle" - I am often happy I don't have other struggles, but this one continues to befuddle me.

Hayward Family said...

And you DO look good!! You write so good!! I always love your posts!! P.S. I LOVE Hannah Montana!!

Harmony said...

Kim, I think you look awesome! I should have told you when we came over a couple weeks ago. You really look amazing. I know it's hard work and your whole family will be better off because of all the nutrition knowledge you've gained! Oh, and I totally remember "Holy Hannah"!

Cyndi said...

You have a talent for writing. Your blog is one of my favorites because I just love to read your stuff. (I want a copy of your first novel) :)

Holy Hannah Montana...how cool are you? Every pre-teen is jealous of your ability to claim a phrase so awesome.

Can we trade bodies? I would LOVE that. You're hot.

Valerie said...

I love this post! Besides being funny, you are INSPIRING. You are beautiful, Kim, and I want some of that quiet confidence that you possess. Being "healthy" means so many things . . . not the size of our bodies. I keep trying to tell myself that, as I pad my bra. By the way, I'm up for trades, in that area.

Nicole said...

I can't stand Miley Cyrus but I love your post! You are so funny. And you DO look good!