Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cosmetics Database

A few weeks ago, I got home and noticed that my bathroom was oddly bare. My counter, which is normally littered with lotions and sprays, was empty. Upon further inspection, my make up bag was unzipped and missing items, my bathtub was void of perfumed salts and softening creams, and my shower was without shampoo, conditioner, and scented soaps.

Something was up and I was not excited to find out...
John's resume will tell you that he dabbles, ever so slightly, in the world of beauty through some of the things he markets (as a matter of embarrassment, I have "acted" in a few online commercials for him...you know...because of my oh so beautiful face).
I trekked upstairs to John's office where I found my stolen items. Before I even entered the room, he turned in his chair and said "You've got to see this."

He pulled up Cosmetic Database for my viewing pleasure. Much to my displeasure, I spent the next 20 minutes seeing how various items in my beauty regimen were rated.

This database tests nearly all beauty products for health and safety. Each has a 1 to 10 rating with 1 being very safe and 10 being extremely hazardous.
It lists if ingredients in any given product is linked to cancer, developmental/reproductive toxicity, allergies/immunotoxicity, has violations, restrictions or warnings and other concerns.

For example:
Bath and Body Works Sweet Pea lotion is a 7
Loreal mascara is a 3
Biolage Color Care Conditioner is a 9

For the record, I have not stopped using any products because of it (Yes, I hit up the Bath and Body Works half yearly sale...TWICE!) But it's interesting and can help make some better choices.

2 comments:

Dana DeLuca said...

At least you didn't find him "trying out" your products. I have used that database mostly for shampoos and lotions, I have sensitive skin on my hands and scalp. Hope you are getting some cleaning time in, I am going to take a nap all day today....

Leslie said...

Yes, very interesting!!!! I wont stop using bath and body works either! :) hey atleast he was not using them right! LOL :)