Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Party For Mykin

Today my friend Monica and I threw a shower for our good friend Mykin, who is pregnant with her 6th (yes, people, 6th!) baby!!

I adore Mykin. She is one of my very favorite people in all the world. She is in shape and beautiful. She is an ICU nurse, runs her own laser hair removal business (which means she has seen more of me than she ever wanted!), she's such a sweet and organized mom and a fantastic friend. Because of this, I really want to have a nice little party for her...
I stole an idea from my sister and mom who made these super cute fruit bouquets for a ward party. I forgot to take a picture until it had been picked at a bit, but you get the idea.

I used a cookie cutter to make the pineapple flowers, Monica made the chocolate covered strawberries and I just skewered red and green grapes for more color.I cut styrofoam to fit the vase for holding to skewers where I wanted them, then hid the styrofoam with lemon and lime slices. It was all very simple and will be my new favorite decoration/side dish this summer.


I also made yummy red velvet cupcakes, garnished with raspberries. Monica brought this amazing oriental salad with bow tie pasta! YUM! Another friend brought a potato soup and I did a tomato bisque. We had a great spread.

I had to get this picture of my little blond girl with pigtails, eating a cupcake.
I really wanted to do some cute decorations (for cheap), so this is what I came up with...
I bought different print scrapbook paper, cut them to 6X8, used die cut lettering in red and pink (each color was a different font to add a little interest), glued the letters to the paper, hole punched two holes at the top, strung it on ribbon, then hung it! Then my kindergartner read "IT'S A GRIL." We had a good laugh, I took it down and restrung it to spell GIRL! Thank goodness for elementary school!

While I was die cutting letters, I used the excess paper to die cut a few girly shapes (hearts, flowers, and flourishes). Then I strung them on ribbon and hung them from my curtain rods and chandelier.

Since this was her 6th baby, with the invitations, I delivered a disposable 9X13 pan and asked everyone to fill it with a meal she can freeze instead of bringing a gift. One of my over achieving friends brought diapers too and called it "dinner and diapers." Why didn't I think of that? SO CUTE. I will have to remember that for my next shower.
I just hope it was a great party for Mykin. She sure deserves it!!

10 comments:

Harmony said...

The dinner thing is such a great idea! I've also made those fruit bouquets before and I love them. When summer comes it's fun to cut shapes out of watermelon and cantaloupe too :)

Cyndi said...

How fun. Everything looks so cute! The food sounds amazing. How I wish I could have been there (even though I don't know Mykin, I would have brought a killer frozen meal and she would be my friend).

For our first Valentines Day I mentioned to Paul that I didn't really like flowers. Instead he made this amazing fruit bouquet just like you made. Those are so fun. If you have cantaloupe, use a melon scoop and the little balls serves as a center for the flower pineapple.

Wait a minute, you used grapes...much easier. Better idea.

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

wow. if I had your creativity. that looks great!! we are all lucky to have you as a friend!

Cami said...

You always throw such a great pary, Kim. Everything turned out cute. I love the limes and lemons sliced. Funny about the sign - you forgot to tell me that.
By the way, the true love frames I made - painted the frames green and took the back out, then vinyled the letters. The frames actually did come from Hobby Lobby though.

Jami said...

OOooo, very fun. and yummy! You're amazing. BTW, if you ever have time, I would SO love some recipes from you. Nothing specific, just some favorites. I love trying things that I know other people like <3

Sh'Nell said...

Kim, that is all so cute! If I ever do a party, I'll have to ask you for ideas.

Brittany said...

So creative. Those decorations are beyond amazing.

Hayward Family said...

What cute ideas!! You are such a good friend! :)

Leslie said...

You do such a great job at decorating for parties!!!!!!!!! it all sounded and looks soooo yummy!!! would have screwed up my diet!! lol
I am so sorry I missed it, I hope Monica explained to you and Mykin that i had been at the dr. allll flipping morning with Jackson getting tests done to determin weather or not he was going to have to be admitted into the hospital that day, he has rsv, croup and a ear infection.!!! so I could not take him to your house and I also didn't even get home till after 1 that day!!! I was sooo tired!! I am suppose to keep him out of public for 5 days, it sure is hard!!! I have only been to pick up my boys from school since Wed!! getting old!!! but he is doing much better that is what is important!!! Again I am so sorry!!!! I feel horrible!!

heather said...

That is such a great idea. Well, all of them. You are so crafty...and thoughtful.