Sunday, March 22, 2009

I can't keep track of a watch...

...To save my life!!
When I was 10 my mom bribed me. The deal was, I stop biting my fingernails and she will buy me a watch. I had to prove my dedication to our deal by not biting for one month, then I would get the promised watch. Every day or two my mom would check my nails and at the end of the month, I got a watch! Unfortunately, I didn't even keep track of that watch as long as it took me to earn it. (Good news is, I haven't bitten my fingernails since)

Not long after that, my grandma Marilyn bought my sister and I matching watches, mine blue, hers pink. I'm sure Cami has gently tucked hers away in her hope chest now, but mine is long gone. Although, the fact that I remember the color of it tells me that I must have kept it around for upwards of 6 or 7 weeks!

Soon after that, I decided I wasn't a watch person and never revisited the idea until I was 8 months pregnant with my first child. I thought "I may need to time contractions at some point. I better become a watch person." So with my new found adulthood responsibility, in the same day I bought myself a watch and John a pager so he could be reached at school if my watch was telling me my contractions were close enough to go to the hospital (this was before every person on earth had a cell phone and way before texting!) My water broke less than a week later while John was at a friends house, so neither were needed and the watch was never seen again.




Not sure the reason I decided about a year ago to try my hand (no pun intended) at this again. I'm no dummy though. I start with a cheap Target watch, but am sure since I am now a mother of three, I have to be mature enough to handle this kind of responsibility.

3 months later, as my dad drove us to the airport to spend the month of June in Costa Rica, I made him stop at Shopko to pick up another watch since I couldn't find mine.

I bought another watch while we were in Costa Rica.

And a new one before the summer ended.

Then I had a bright idea, "Maybe if I spend a little more money on a watch I really love, I will try harder to keep track of it." So I did. In October I spent a whopping $25 (more than my normal $8) on a super cute watch that I loved. I bought it during a girls weekend with my mom, sister and grandma in California, so I hoped there were be some sentiment too to help me with this sickening disappearing act.

IT MADE A DIFFERENCE!! The difference was, I was really, really sad when I had to add "watch" to my Christmas list two months later.

My Christmas watch is now gone and I just can't figure it out. I really thought my "expensive" watch would turn up. I checked all my coat pockets, behind the dresser, under the couch, even Addie's toy box. So where are all my watches going? Really? Maybe I'm not the problem. Maybe I have bad luck, or I'm cursed, or my sister is gently tucking all my watches away with her pink watch and having a good laugh at my expense-literally! These are things I have to tell myself to keep up my self confidence.

I have come to grips with the fact now that I need a watch, so I will be buying $10 Target watches 6 times each year. Tomorrow, March 23 will be my second watch of 2009. I'll keep you POSTED!

6 comments:

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

Hilarious!!! I love the one that said it really a made a difference I was really really sad to lose the expensive one. man you are funny. why do you need a watch anyways? don't you always carry your phone. it will tell you the time and your wrist does not need anymore decoration you always have cute bracelets. do you loose the as easy too?

Cami said...

Nice, Kim! How do you lose watches and not bracelets? Aren't they basically the same thing? Maybe you should give up on watches - I NEVER wear one (unless it is a super cute bracelet style that matches my outfit - but even then, the watch part doesnt actually work!)

Harmony said...

I haven't worn a watch since I got a cell phone (like 10 years ago). I never lose my phone so i always know what time it is. Seriously though, just keep it on your wrist...

Leslie said...

I am sooo lost without a watch!! loved your story! oh and I love the new look of the blog!! great great picture!!!!!! everyone looks soooooo dang cute!!! :)

Cyndi said...

I love this!

I understand, just one of those yearly expenses...like new socks.

Your blog is so fun.

Bonnie @HobbytoHOT said...

Maybe I could find you some coupons for those watches to keep the cost down . . .LOL!!!