Friday, January 2, 2009

To Each of My Children

I am at a place in life where I want to press the pause button and stay for a while. My children are each at ages that are so much fun in their own ways. Excuse me as I gush over them. Enjoy the pictures taken by my brother Todd in October (BTW...Bailey was sick that day, so we didn't get ANY good ones of her.)
Dear Austin,

You are 6 now. You are handsome and smart. Your bright blue eyes tell me that you crave goodness and light. You are helpful to me around the house, your dad in the yard and garage and your sisters during play time. You wear your heart on your sleeve, so your moods are easy to read. Phrases I hear from you daily are "Can I play with a friend?" "Can I help you with that?" and "This is so sweet." You are a natural athlete and right now are deep into ice hockey. Your prayers are kind, sincere and thoughtful. In a recent prayer you said "Please help us to remember that Christmas is not about presents, but about Jesus." Your life will always be good because you already have a testimony of Jesus Christ. It may not be easy, but it will always be good. You are my first child and so my first love. You hold a very special place in heart for all eternity!


My Sweet Adeline,
You are pushing 4! You and I have become best friends. Surprisingly, you are a homebody. You didn't like preschool so I pulled you out and now we have each afternoon alone together. Since you are my middle child right now, alone time with any of you is a novelty, so to have these special times with you each day is a pure joy. You are the greatest shopping partner. All I have to do is buy you a treat and you are happy. And in the dressing room, to everything I try on you say "That looks cute." If we don't shop we will watch a princess movie (and both fall asleep), make cookies, color, dress up dolls, or you will even help me clean the bathroom. You have loved having kittens in the house and are so kind and gentle with them. They loved to sleep in your bed, lay in your lap and be carried all over by you. You are my first girl and second child. You taught me that a mother's love knows no bounds. I have some many "girly" things to teach and tell you about in each stage! We are women together forever!

My Bailey,
I'm thrilled to announce that I just can't get enough of you! You will be two this year. You are the very best hugger. Your little arms wrapped around my neck make my life perfect. You are at the age where you learn something new each day. New words are shooting out of you like crazy and your vocabulary is very large (today's new word is "cool"). Right now, a kiss from mom can make all your pain go away. Oh! How I wish it could be like that forever! Your blond curly hair is to die for. You are my only child that I really cared about gender. I yearned for another girl and although it's a little silly, your gender is a little reminder to me that we have a Father in Heaven who wants to answer our prayers. Happiness is your middle name today. You are happy to go to nursery. You are happy to go to bed. You are happy to see me in the morning. You are happy to play with you brother and sister. You have a smile for all you see and say "Hi" to each stranger we pass in the store. I'm not sure who you got your social skills from!?!?! I could just stare at you all day because I think you are perfect and I think you always will be! I will never ever stop loving you.
To each of my children,
My life is for you. Of all the other things I could be doing, I only want to be with you, to watch you learn and grow. To kiss your ouchies, to make you nuggets, to wipe your noses, to read you books and sing you songs and tuck you in bed. But best of all, I get to teach you that you have a Father AND Mother in Heaven who consider you divine and count on you to prepare this world to receive Their Son. How lucky I am to know this and so thrilled to teach you all about it. Your happiness is all my world.
Forever and Ever,
Your mom

7 comments:

Andrea J said...

Thanks Kim, that was very sweet.

Emily Jonas said...

That's so cute! I love it.

Leslie said...

You are soooo good at writing!!! I wish I was good like that! those were all sooo sweet!!! what a wonderful mother you are!!!

Kelly said...

Tears! SO CUTE KIM AND SO SWEET!!!!

Heidi said...

And the record stands... every time I read your blog I cry.

heather said...

You made me cry, I have been having very tender feelings toward my children lately as well. I think they just bring that out in us.

Kurst said...

Kim this was so cute and sweet. You are such a good mom. And your kids are adorable.