Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Zlata'a Diary Review

I started a little book review section on the sidebar of my blog. I don't usually read the latest and greatest (notice what I'm reading now), but want to review them anyway. I'm posting old news only because I have no other way to save my review as I finish one book and read another. Sorry!
I just finished reading "Zlata's Diary." She's called the Anne Frank of the Sarajevo war in the 90's. If you're looking for hope and love during war, THIS IS NOT IT! I found it depressing and sad. This family had an opportunity to come outside themselves, help others, and find God. They did none of this. To me, Zlata's parents were weak and shallow. Her mother seemed to cry all the time and even spent a whole day hiding in a different room because of a mouse. Please! Let's show some strength, hope and happiness to our children during hard times. Zlata was shown none of this and wasn't able to find it herself. She even talked several times of suicide. I realize it was a horrible time and my heart aches for all who lived it, but I was hoping to read about "enduring" not just being. I guess my standards are higher since reading "The Hiding Place" (A MUST READ!!!).
This is a short, quick read. Once I was fed up with listening to her whine, it was over. That was the best thing about the book.

1 comment:

Hayward Family said...

I need to start reading more.. I will keep up with your recommendations! :)