Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Change of Heart

As we drove home from my mom's house tonight, I noticed a lot of homes still had their Christmas lights on. I looked at them in disgust and rolled my eyes. Then I thought "How funny that from Nov.1 through Jan.2, I love the homes with their festive lights. They bring me joy and the spirit of the season...."
Now I just look at those homes and think "LAZY." Which is horribly judgemental because if we weren't so lazy, we would have had Christmas lights and if we did have them, we absolutely would not have gotten on the roof in this weather to take them down. Regardless, it's sad that the simple date is what changes my attitude towards something. What do you think of Christmas lights into January?

6 comments:

Cami said...

You know I feel exactly the same! It's just a reminder that it's not christmas anymore to me. I don't want to be reminded that. I like your nice thought about them, but it still doesn't change my mind.

Harmony said...

Not taking them down is one thing, but keeping them lit seems a little weird to me. I figure if it helps the people remember the spirit of Christmas for a little longer than more power to them! I'm too cheap to keep ours on, even if I wanted to (which, for the record, I dont)!

Cyndi said...

Your Christmas sounded so great. I love Addie & Austin in the Christmas play, the are in character. Thanks for missing us, we sure missed everyone. I read the Secret Life of Bees and then saw the movie. Of course the book is detailed and enchanting. I also liked the movie, I think it is a good combo. They stick pretty close to the book.

Happy New Year.

Oh, speaking of New Year. If you have lawn decorations then you MUST take them down. I am ok with leaving the lights up, but heaven sakes don't turn them on. I think people associate snow with lights. They will probably wait until the last snow fall before turning their lights off.

Dana DeLuca said...

Just because you cannot take them down doesn't mean you have to turn them on.

Hayward Family said...

I can't talk, because I always grew up with Christmas lights on our house (doesn't mean we turned them on) til it got warm... haha.. So, ya.. I don't think twice about it.

Leslie said...

I feel the same way that you do kim! we still have ours up just not on anymore. We stopped turning ours on the last day of Dec. I love your background!!!!!!!!!! sooo cute!!!! where did you find it? I am going to be redoing ours here shortly with some help!