Sunday, January 11, 2009

What's in a Name?

Since I have been a lame-o blogger lately, I decided I'd throw out a couple posts of thoughts of mine. Possibly less interesting than anything else, but thoughts of mine nonetheless....
If you look at my blog much (which I highly doubt anyone, but my mom, does), you will see that I added a little book review section on the side.
I just finished reading "The Secret Life of Bees." In part, it's about a group of women who, essentially form their own religion and they worship the Virgin Mary...

Although, I do not worship her, I have great respect and reverence for her and her life. These women in the book don't know any better and have found a divine being from which to draw strength as well as someone to answer to. So I thought, even though they aren't worshiping the correct being, don't you think HE is the one that hears them, answers their prayers, and gives them strength to deal with life? Hopefully my dad (who is a Gospel scholar) isn't rolling his eyes at this theroy, but really, if you are praying to divinity with all the purity of heart, I believe it is still heard and answered. So all these Gods from all these religions are just the one God that created us and has His eye single to our glory. He understands those who don't know the truth and still hears and answers their prayers that are misaimed to Mary or Zues or Alla, right?
Juliet asks "What's in a name? That which we call a rose, By any other word would smell as sweet." God is sweet and will answer the prayers of His children, no matter what they call Him.
Make sense? Any thoughts?

5 comments:

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

Interesting concept. Not sure I completely agree, but I see your point. I think believing in some being is better than none at all, but I guess if they have not been taught better he still hears them, but I do not know how much he can answer them because We are taught that is if you want a sincere answer to prayer you have to pray to God the father and do it all in Christs name. But we have been taught that. so i guess I am not sure. what does your scholarly father think?

Morkthefied said...

I took a Religions of the World class at BYU, and the instructor was kind of "out there" thinking-wise. He was a convert to the church after being a pastor for many years. I remember him saying that on Judgment Day, those who didn't have an opportunity to hear the gospel would likely be judged by those tenents of the faith they did follow. Makes sense perhaps.

I think true readers of the Bible would have a hard time relying on Mary when it so obviously points to her son Jesus as being the Savior of the world. Not a whole lot is written about Mary. Do they just skip over the rest of the Bible? I'll have to read the book myself to understand. I do, however, think it's good to reflect on the lives of women in the Bible, women in our lives, and even Heavenly Mother and thank Heavenly Father for their goodness. Most of Christiandom thinks we're crazy for believing we also have a Heavenly mother. Though I would never pray to her, I reverently revere her. Sometimes it's hard as a woman to read the scriptures that are devoid of women writers and few stories of women. But the stories of Christ in the New Testament are filled with women: Mary Magdalen (sp), the Virgin Mary, the woman at the well, the woman who cleans Jesus' feet with her tears, Martha, etc. The accounts of His interactions with all these women helps me to know He loves us and knows our individual struggles.

Good topic. Deeper than my normal thoughts of laundry and vacuuming and Barney.

Cyndi said...

Yes, in the book it explains and you understand their reverence and worship of mary. In the movie it is left up to your own ideas and religion to figure that out.

I see your point. Correct I think. It doesn't seem fair that Heavenly Father would only answer the prayers of those who follow 'the correct order'. But then again, there is order in all things. I often wonder if that's why people are confused in religion. They can pray to a divine power and feel the power of the divine...however they miss the mark.

Talk about missing the mark: if you believe in Mary then you believe in Jesus...ummm.

The book is all about strong women who protect and provide for each other. It is fitting that their guardian is Mary. I do believe it is better to believe in something than nothing.

Ok, I forgot even what you asked or what I was really talking about.

Tell us what the gospel scholar says!

Hayward Family said...

I completely agree with your theory! I LOVED that book! I read it awhile ago!! We should go see the movie! I have been wanting to see it, but haven't gotten around to it!

Harmony said...

I really liked this book! My whole theory on religion is pretty basic. My family has a lot of different religious beliefs. I believe that no matter what your belief in this life, if you are trying your hardest to be the best you you can be it will all be worked out in the end. In short, if you are a good person you will accept the true gospel, whether it be in this life or the next.