Tuesday, September 2, 2008

You Know You're a Real Mom If...

Since having my third child, I have really felt like a "real mom." For me, feeling like a "real" mom has been a long time coming. My first child was a lot like playing house. We spent many days with just the two of us (John was in school and work all day) and now that I look back, it was so easy! When I had my second, John was out of school and running his business from home. So I had lots of help. I didn't even take two to the grocery store for a few months. Now that I have three, even with John's extra help (not only is he super dad, but he is still running his business from his home office, so he is around A LOT) I still feel over-whelmed and slightly commitable sometimes.
I must say, I absolutely adore each of my three sweet children. At times, when my life has seemed like a circus and I tried to send myself to my "happy place," I have found that my happy place is at home with my three children and my husband. So I write this post with the deepest love in my heart for my family. I hope some of this rings true in your life too (or I'm in trouble).
So, here you go...You know you're a real mom if...

  • You have ever closed and locked the bathroom door (just to pee) for 3 minutes of silence (which usually never works because you still have a toddler banging on the door)
  • Rice Krispie treats are a great breakfast- it's cereal! And fruit snacks are considered a serving of fruit
  • You can barely keep your eyes open after 10pm, but you force yourself to stay awake because there's nothing more appealing to you than a quiet house.
  • Four letter words that make you flinch are now: FART, BUTT, MINE, HATE
  • Your favorite recording artists are The Backyardagains and The Wiggles
  • You can't remember the last time you slept through the night
  • You think at least once a day "I am so my mom"
  • A baby has to cry for at least 5 minutes before you actually hear it
  • Your toddler eating off the floor is great for two reasons: She's building immunities and there's less sweeping for you
  • You've ever tried to figure out a way to keep hot dogs and chicken nuggets in your food storage. Oh wait! Mac and cheese stores well and is the same difference.
  • A date with your husband consists of dinner under $15 and walking around Home Depot (and that's exciting!)
  • You are on a first name basis with the greeters at Wal-mart, the cashiers at Target and the receipt checkers at Costco
  • You truly don't find Barney annoying
  • The only way you stay up on pop culture is by scanning the magazine covers while standing in line at the grocery store
  • Your own mom is no longer embarrassing and weird. She's actually the most amazing woman you've ever known
  • Inventions that have changed your life include DVR (Dora 24 hours a day!), hand sanitizer, the drive-thru window, and $5 hot and ready pizza (if only they had a drive-thru window)
  • You drive a mini van AND you love it
  • You have crawled to the top of a grimy playplace to rescue a "lost" child (man, those places are gross. That's where the hand sanitizer comes in)
  • You're planning your next pregnancy around your high school reunion (that's for you, Michelle)
  • Your idea of romantic is putting on a little Bath and Body Works lotion before climbing into bed (and your husband may or may not say "What's that funky smell?")
  • You can do almost anything one handed (with a baby in the other one)
  • The time it takes you to get out of the house is always longer than the time you are actually out of the house
I'm sure I can come up with many many more, but I have a 1 year old in my lap needing attention. Please Please leave a comment to add to my list. This could be really funny. I sure love being a mom and hope you do too!

16 comments:

Devri said...

So funny and so true!

I feel like a real mom because I walk around with snot, spit up and leftover lunch on me and smelling like sour milk all day long. I don't change cause I just don't care anymore!

I wouldn't trade it for anything though. :-)

Tal gal said...

This is awesome! I don't drive a mini van but WANT one. Our Little Ceasar down the street just put in a drive thru Yippee! An man to thte rest of them Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, I love this post!

Cami said...

Love this Kim! During my Wiggles years (Clay has no say in tv now!)I always said I would go more crazy if I say Anthony than any other celebrity! I want to comment on all of those, they are great. Let's see about adding my own...I no longer cringe and gag at the nasty smell of ketchup or hot dogs, and can actually touch them without sanitizing my hands as I try not to barf! In fact I just got done cutting up and skinning Clay's hot dog and my fingers probably still smell a little!

Harmony said...

I once was told, you know you're a mom when you find poop under your finger nails an hour after you changed the last poopy diaper!

GROSS! I remember thinking when my friend laughed at the thought. Four months later when my little guy was about three-months-old that very thing happened to me. So gross, yet I knew I had arrived!

On another note, when does Austin go to school? Let's get our boys together soon. :)

Hayward Family said...

KIM!! HAHAHA!! I seriously love you! You are the funnist blogger I know! haha.. I can't think of much, so I guess I'm not a real mom.. haha.. All I can think of is.. You know you are a real mom if You let your child walk around naked and then end up peeing on the carpet because they don't want a diaper on and you are too lazy to fight them! haha..

Ali said...

How about this one . . . you know you are a real mom when you will pick a booger out of your kids nose just so it isn't visible anymore!

Tim, Shelbie, Hudson, Lex and Navy J said...

Kim, girl you crack me up. I love it all and can just laugh at what my life will be like when I have 3 kids of my own. To add I would say that a real mom still showers and get ready everyday even if it's 5:30 in the afternoon!

Jessica said...

Amen, Thankfully my Hot and Ready does have a drive thru, they are just SUPER Slow. You know you are a mom if you have spots on your clothes from snot, drool or food and you don't care. What are you going to do carry extra clothes in the car?

nanajan said...

That was so funny and so true!

Cyndi said...

Kim Letterman! These could make the top 10 ten list any night.

Love it.

What about: you join a gym just so you can have two hours of free childcare.

Jami said...

Love this Kim! I hope I'm not the only one, but...even cleaning up #2 isn't that gross anymore. Unless you're away from the house...

Kelly said...

KIM..you are TOO funny. These are great!! I am going to post them on my blog(giving you the credit of course).
I think you know your a real mom when your child twirling around on the chair in the doctor's office and the nurse says,"oh be careful, you might fall", and your response is, "if he does, he won't do it again".

Leslie said...

I loved every thing that you said Kim and soooooo agree with it all and even with the comments from you're friends so I had to copy what all you said onto my blog!! with just a few changes to match our family. Sorry for copying!! you always just say the best things!!!!!! I agree with them all!!! you are such a cutie!!! Isn't a mom fun and very trying!?

Kurst said...

Kim you are HILARIOUS!!! I totally agree.

How about: When you've been thrown up on and your first response is to clean up your child first.

Brittany said...

After every one I'm thinking, "yes...right on...yes...that's true!" Wow, not only was that funny - but you hit the nail on the head. Great post!

Jolley's said...

You know I love! And can totally relate!. I too will probably copy that post to send to my blog because you are quite the funny gal.

One I may add, is:

You know you're a mom when your kids are yelling in your ears while your gabbing on the phone and it takes the person on the other line to mention the crying kid yelling into the receiver before you actually hear them. :)

And yes, I agree that you need a Little Ceasars Drive thru---we've got one here...and it's in the same parking lot as my WALMART! Wahoo!