Tuesday, September 1, 2009

South Beach Diet Day 1.5

(This is for you Dana- Be proud!)
Not long after having Adeline, I tried my hand at the "South Beach Diet."
I'm sure most know what it is, but if you don't it's essentially a two week "cleanse" of sorts where you avoid sugar in any form (including fructose) and all carbs.
After the two weeks, you slowly add back your fruits and "healthy" carbs (whole grains, etc.)

Four years ago, I lasted one day. I cried when I went to bed and had a piece of toast for breakfast the next morning...


Today I am a new woman in desperation mode. I just cannot shake these last 15 pounds. And after a summer of care free vacations and festive parties, my pants are fitting a bit snug. I have to take care of that while we have seasonal produce and not seasonal comfort food.
You might get the idea that this subject consumes me and guess what? You're right. Every bit I take, every zip of the pants, every mirror I pass, every shower, every work out, every stupid skinny mom at the PTA meetings, all make me think of my imperfections. Maybe I need therapy or plastic surgery. But today's answer is South Beach.
I will do this for a week and add my fruits back next week. I just can't go that long without fruit. Then I will start to bring back my healthy carbs (do cupcakes fall into that category? HMMM...I wonder why I am the way I am!)
I know, I know, I'm no cow. I know I wouldn't qualify to be on the Biggest Loser, although every time they have auditions in Salt Lake I want to go. I don't have THAT battle, but I have my battle and it's personal.
So a day and a half into this, I am dreaming of a peach and a piece of toast, but still doing ok. I did have a bite of granola at my mom's house today, but you have to know that my mom's house is Satan's lair for a dieter (although heaven for a 4 year old). I had to get out of there before the cookie dough had flour in it. All in all, I'm doing well and will keep you updated.

6 comments:

Devri said...

You are a strong woman! Sugar is a staple in my daily diet. LOL I wouldn't last more than a few hours. You go girl!

Cami said...

Good description of mom's house! Every meal and snack I have consists of sugar and/or carbs. I would cry after half a day!
You are better than I! But, you give me a hard time for my self esteem - hmmmm...

Andrea J said...

Keep going Kim! I'm proud of you and know how hard losing the last bit of weight is. I'm still struggling myself, but we can do it!

Devry said...

i totally feel you...i just had stacey fed-ex me power 90x and told her i needed it before i had to be forklifted out of my apartment.

Harmony said...

So here's a tip (unsolicited, as usual) that I learned and I think really does help. Eat fruit, because it's good for you, gives you a sugar fix, and has great vitamins, etc. But limit your fruit to before noon. Try to get in at least three servings before noon. You'll feel energized and you won't be craving (at least not as strongly) sugar all day long. :) Good luck this week. I wish we lived closer together so we could be workout buddies. :)

Jon and Tasha Fam said...

You are so cute, You look good but i know your feeling you just dont feel good for you!! I have been feeling the same way 10lbs wont come off after the 3rd child:( I will look forward to your updates, give me instiration to do South Beach!! ha ha