Monday, October 27, 2008

Finally Perfected


I have been working for a couple years on a butternut squash soup recipe. Each year I make it a few times in hopes that it is better than the last. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't!! It's that time of year again. So I pulled up my most recent recipe and did a little research into others and I think I've got it perfect!!! It was a big hit with John (which is huge because, although he won't admit it, he's a super picky eater). The kids weren't too thrilled with it, but that's to be expected. It's a little more invovled than normal things I cook, but I think it's worth it.

Try it out and let me know what you think. Any feed back is always apprecitated!


2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 medium butternut squash
4 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 pkg cream cheese (softened)
salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Place the squash halves cut side down in a baking dish with bottom covered in water. Bake 45 minutes, or until tender.
2. While squash is baking, melt the butter in a large pot, and cook the onion, celery, carrot, and potatoes 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Pour in enough of the chicken stock to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 40 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. Both squash and veggie mix should be done about the same time.
3. Scoop squash from skin into blender and add veggie mix, cream cheese, and brown sugar. You may have to blend this in shifts. You can add more or less chicken broth depending on the thickness you desire. Mix in pot and heat through.
4. A little salt and pepper really makes it perfect!

3 comments:

Andrea J said...

I love a good butternut squash soup. I'll have to give this one a go!

Leslie said...

HMMMMMM??? interesting That is great that you and John liked it! =) I think I will politly pass on this one. =)

Harmony said...

MMMM....I bet that would be super yummy in a bread bowl! I'm impressed with your mad cooking skills. Will you teach me?