Monday, March 3, 2008

Shabby...Chic?!?!

We bought the house with this hideous nook over the fireplace. It has always been an eye sore to me and I have dreamed of the day that it was covered.
After lots of research, I never found exactly what I wanted. So we decided to do it all ourselves (and by "we" I mean "John"). My contribution was the design and painting.
The mantel went up first and I wanted to cry because I thought it looked awful, but now that the doors are up, I'm really loving it.
I had to dig up a before picture because I forgot to take one. I know, it's bad and I think my sorry attempt to decorate made it worse!


The mantel is just a basic one you can get at home depot for like $150. I painted it and John hung it. I "designed" the doors, John built them, and I painted them. Not too shabby, maybe even shabby chic!

11 comments:

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

oh wow that turned out very cute! Great idea, much better than the whole. Is there anything inside your cabinet?

Cami said...

So cute Kim! I really do love it! Good job John.

Devri said...

I think it looks great! So cute! Good job you two!

Cyndi said...

Yes, totally Chic! Good job! Great design. The mantel will be so nice to have especially during Christmas.

Mike and Jill said...

Kim, I'm so glad you found my blog. I sent you an invite to it. It will be fun to be able to see your kids.
Jill

Cyndi said...

You should go to my sister-in-laws blog. Link onto Tomlinson family from ours. She just posted about her mantel and what to do with it.

Emily said...

Hey Kim. Very cute blog! Mine are kind of boring to non-crazy-book-nerds like me.
http://whimsybooks.livejournal.com/
http://cleanreads.blogspot.com/

-Emily from dance :)

Nicole said...

I think it looks great!

Hayward Family said...

Looks good!

Jolley's said...

It looks really cute! Much better than before (not that before was bad, I just know you didn't like it). Love the wreath...love it all!

nanajan said...

I like the niche before, but it's even better with the mantel and doors - good job! What are you going to store in there?