Friday, September 17, 2010

Why AREN'T French Women Fat?

This became a topic of conversation (husbands included) as we indulged in luscious French food. Everything was deep fried, baked with butter, made with white flour and sugar, smothered in mayo and topped with cheese. It was heavenly. And fatty. Before we went, I was worried about nightlife in Paris. On our first night we learned that night life is dinner. We ate dinner about 9pm every night and it was always an event, taking at least 2 hours. Fruits and vegetables were hard to come by. In fact, after a few days, when our bodies were craving something natural, we sat a restaurant with a menu item "veggie platter." Perfect for our cheese stuffed bodies! When Nicole placed her order our grumpy server asked what kind of vegetables she'd like. Goody! A choice! She asked "What are my options?"

His reply "Green beans, french fries, noodles, or rice."

She had the green beans. And we all suppressed giggles at the choices for "veggie platter."

Even at a food market that we wondered through, the fruit and veggie choices were slim.

I understand that their lifestyles are less sedentary than ours. As tourists, we walked about 10 miles a day. I would imagine they walk a lot too, but probably a little less than that. Even so, it's not consistent cardio exercise.

So what is it?

Why is it that my diet is at least half fruits and vegetables, I strictly moderate treats, and I work out an hour a day and I'm struggling to maintain a normal body weight?

One theory is the smoking. It seems like everyone there smokes. They probably do that instead of snack. I'll take my dried fruit and nuts over a cigarette any day.

Another theory is their serving sizes are smaller than ours. Maybe. Could that really be it?

Any other theories? I've never read the book, so please- enlighten me!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

That author was on Oprah a while back. If you didn't watch it here is some info from the show:

http://www.oprah.com/health/The-Secret-French-Diet#slide

kind of makes sense, but who knows if that really does work.

Cyndi said...

Good question.

Yeah, I have no idea.

It has been so fun to see you travel. What a stylist lady you are. You keep getting so gosh darn cute. It looks like you guys had the best time.