Friday, September 10, 2010

Paris: Day 5

Versailles (SIGH)
This picture says just what I feel about this place

I'm changing things up on you...here's a pic of Dan and me in front of the Versailles Palace I read up on Marie Antoinette before the trip, so I had to get a pic with her
OK, this is the most under-rated part of Versailles. It is, in my opinion, the very best part of the whole property. Marie Antoinette wanted a place of refuge from palace life, so she had this "hamlet" built to replicate a common village. Complete with a dairy farm, vegetable gardens, animals and a pond. It's a place where she could kick up her heels and wear and do as she pleased. This is a place straight out of a fairy tale. It's quiet and quaint and beautiful. I think it's enchanted




Nicole snitching from the vegetable garden (yes, the small village is still kept functioning)

There's even a swan gliding on the pond. I'm ready to move in.

(does this picture make you embarrassed to be my friend?)

I HAD to stop and smell the roses. What else do you do in a place like this.
And, of course, an arch of grapevines.




If you go to Versailles (and you should), you canNOT miss The Hamlet. It was just beyond dreamy. Just looking at the pictures again makes me swoon. I can say things like "swoon" because I have been to MA's Hamlet.

So here's the real secret. John had this brilliant idea to hit the gardens first and then the palace. Since the line for the palace was probably 200 yards long, it was not hard to convince us. This left the gardens, hamlet, and other parts of the grounds slow and quiet.


And just plain LOVELY

I loved the gardens and the views they offered
including the backside of the palace
Sorry, we are as sick of taking lame pictures of us as much as you are of looking at them
This is me resisting the urge to take a picture of every single flower in the gardens and spend the rest of the trip on the internet researching each of them.
We finally made it inside the palace with no line and far fewer crowds. Here is the room where my girls will have their wedding receptions. I am planning it in my head...we will fly in 50 of our closest friends and family (and if you leave ONE mean comment about my greasy hair- you're out!) (I blew up my blow dryer)
We each got head sets for an audio tour
Oh wait! This room is much bigger and much more ornate. The receptions will happen HERE. I can up the number to 100 ( like *I* know that many people. I plan on my girls being very popular). There's plenty of room for all of us to stay in the palace. I call the hamlet.

When we were bored of our headsets, John did great narrations of Rick Steve's thoughts.
Back in "reality" we had dinner at a highly recommended restaurant.
It was such a perfect day that ended in tears because it was our last in Paris...for a time!

No comments: