Saturday, July 4, 2009

I need help practicing what I preach

For family night on Monday, I gave a very stirring lesson on LIFE. Not life in general, but the life all around us. I have a large respect or soft spot, if you will, for living things. I love that I can cultivate and grow things to maturity; from my annual plants, to my vegetable garden, to my children. I believe that we should honor nature and let it run it's course. I don't agree with hunting. Even if you eat what you catch, you are still finding sport in killing. No, I'm not a vegetarian, but I should be.
I know that in small town Utah the high schoolers go out "shootin' stuff" for fun. Killing rabbits, rodents, snakes, whatever they can spotlight in the late night. I think it's so wrong.
I couldn't even look at the beheaded snake from my parents yard without feeling faintly sorrowful.
The other day Austin came inside with a story about trapping a spider in his sandbox and killing it. You know I don't even kill spiders in my house, so you can imagine how I feel about killing them outside. This is what brought on our lesson.
I bore testimony that all life is special and precious to God. Every living thing has it's purpose and if at all possible, we should let them be.
Am I raising controversy? I hope not. This is just how I feel.
So here's my problem, I got home last night and was so disappointed that some of my petunias on my front steps were really struggling. Upon closer examination, I found snails...EVERYWHERE!!


Shoot, I just taught my children to let nature be. But my petunias! They're looking so pretty and I spent so much time and money on them. What should I do?
I massacred them!! AHHH! I'm sick about it.
We went on a snail hunt and found dozens and dozens of them. Bailey had a ball helping me.Since finding out how awful they are to my garden I've just been throwing them in the trash, but I felt like that was a little inhumane as they would be spending days in a hot yucky trash can only to be crushed to death by the garbage truck. I don't want to crush them myself, so this was my solution
Seal them in a ziploc bag so they will suffocate quickly and die. I felt like Hitler, searching under and throw all my plants and between the rocks in my rock walls. I would pull them out and pile them up and my Nazi soldiers would put them in the bags for me. Austin kept telling me that he felt so sad for them, especially the baby ones. Oh my heart strings!!
I swept over a second time to find anymore that may have been hiding in attics or secret rooms behind bookcases. I found them all. They all went into the bags, sealed up, and then, with a prayer of apology, into the trash.
It was necessary for me. Wasn't it?

3 comments:

Cami said...

First of all, July 1st was fun - wish we could have gone to papa's work with you.
Second, I understand about life, but spiders I have to kill when they invade my space. Sorry about the snake thing - that was all mom! haha
I can't believe the amount of snails you caught. Would they not have survived down by the canal somewhere? Poor Austin feeling so sad for them. But, yes, it was necessary to get them out of your yard.
You are a good mom and I love how you look at life.

Jami said...

Wow, that was a LOT of snails! Excellent argument though. Just be glad you don't live here with the cockroaches!

Leslie said...

Man, that is a TON A BUTT LOAD of snails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SICK!! my boys would have LOVED collecting them with you guys too!! LOL loved the lesson you gave them and good argument! :)