Friday, April 10, 2009

Searching for Sunshine

A couple weeks ago I woke up to snow and wanted to cry. I'm usually fine with whatever the weather is doing, but for some reason, this spring can not come soon enough for me!! So I planned a quick trip to St. George for our family to see if we could find a little sunshine there.
Unfortunately, it wasn't as warm as we had hoped, but there wasn't snow!!
We didn't take any pictures the first day, but know that we played at the park with Cafe Rio for lunch, walked the temple grounds and went to Brigham Young's winter home.
We stayed in a dumpy hotel, but it had a living area with hide-a-bed (we are in a time of life where we really need separate rooms. It helps the kids sleep better), kitchenette, free breakfast, and best of all, an indoor pool! The kids swam for hours and hours.
Day two we did a hike to Indian carvings.
Austin liked this cactus and wanted a pic with it


The carvings were actually really cool. There were dozens of them. It was just a mile hike in then we got to climb around the rocks looking at the different pictures. Perfect hike for our little family.
Addie told me this is her "pretty smile"

I loved the colors of the moss that was growing on these rocks!
Truly, I don't know how authentic any or all of these are, but it was still fun and super cool for the kids.
Reverting back to our Costa Rica days, Austin caught a butterfly


John had to be on a business call that afternoon, so Bailey stayed at the hotel with him and napped while I took the big kids to see Monsters vs Aliens. It was cute and great bonding for me and my kiddos
The last night we were there, Austin lost his first tooth!!! He was so thrilled. We had to call Grandma JuJu and cousin Koby back at home.
On our way home we stopped at Kolob Canyon (it's part of Zion, but just off the freeway between Cedar City and St. George) and did a little 2 miler. It was cold and windy, but beautiful!


We are still waiting for Spring to show it's beautiful face here in Utah! I have to keep telling myself "April showers bring May flowers." I'm dreaming of those May flowers!

7 comments:

Harmony said...

How fun and spontaneous! P. lost a tooth this past Sunday. When did Austin lose his?

Morkthefied said...

That Addie's got a great "pretty" smile! I love it when the kids want they're pictures taken with things I wouldn't have ever thought of.

Leslie said...

How fun!!!!! looks like you guys had a great time!! it's always nice to just get away for a few days!!! That is sooo cool for Austin and his tooth!!! :) you are looking sooooo good Kim!!! amen to the flowers and sunshine!! I am ready also!!!!!!

heather said...

I am right there with you. It snowed here today, but melted of course, however it has been so cold, and windy it is horrible. We had a couple of days of warm weather which was a huge tease because it has been ugly ever since. What a fun trip that your kids will remember.

Sh'Nell said...

Brynn was so excited when I told her that Austin lost a tooth. Hers is still so wiggly. Her teeth are so crowded, I don't know if it will ever come out. You know your child is in trouble when the baby teeth are crooked and crowded.
It was so fun to see you guys!

Valerie said...

Looks like you had a fun week. I love St. George! The rocks were really neat, my kids would have loved all of the carvings. I bet when the snow melts, your kids will want to make random carvings on things in your yard . . . Very fun!!

Kurst said...

Spring is taking way too long, I'm with you it can't come soon enough.

I love St George, I love that it's close enough that you don't have to plan months in advance to go, but far enough that you feel like you're on vacation. What a fun trip, I'm so jealous.