Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Getting B on the T and off the B

In the chaos of my week home between London and Thailand, Bailey decided to potty train herself (Yes, that sentence is supposed to invoke pity for me, but there are so many things wrong with it. Let me rephrase it)
In between two amazing, kid free trips with my wonderful husband, my 2 year old decided to give me a break from diapers and teach herself to go in the potty.
BETTER?
OK, so I'm not complaining at all, but here are the facts... I have potty trained my other 2 with the "Potty training in a day" method. It's so great because I can teach them all about toilet paper amounts, leaving your pants on so they're easy to pull up, how to sit, washing hands, etc.
So when a 2 year old does this all herself. How would you expect her to "go"?
Stripped down to stark nakedness and sitting on the toilet like this! Now I wipe feet prints AND pee off my toilet seat (pity me now). I have also had several clogged toilets and countless unrolled toilet paper rolls. I have at least taught her now to bring me her clothes when she is done so I can redress her.
Since we are done with diapers, I'm thinking I should get her off the bottle too (if I don't get your pity, I better not get your judgement for having her still on the bottle- it's that or the mental institution, OK?) But now I'm 18 months detattched from the difficulty of her first year, so I have motivation to get passed this. She only takes it for night time and nap time. Does anyone have suggestions (minus making her cry it out) of how to end this habit and turn my baby into a big girl?

8 comments:

Jami said...

Dang woman! That picture is hilarious! sorry :> Potty-training my first was a nightmare, so...no help from me on the bottle - mine are/were completely indifferent. but pity, yes.

Dana DeLuca said...

My boys had a hard time giving up the pacifier. We gathered them all in a box, and went to the toy store. Then I let them "pay" for any toy with their binkies. When they would whine, I would just remind them of the fabulous toy they got and play with them a bit. It was only one or two nights of disturbed sleep. Good luck.

Dana DeLuca said...

PS. for those of us who had kids who didn't sleep well, and were hard to potty train, I am only slightly glad that Bailey is giving you a run for your money.

Cyndi said...

Yes, I have a suggestion. Well, this is what I did. I had bottle drinkers for nap and bed. I love the bottle. I think it was harder for me than them.

I bought the kind of sippy cups that have a bottle type nipple. Then we traded the actual bottle for a bottle sippy. I only bought 1 so when we couldn't find the bottle sippy I gave them a regular sippy. It worked for us. (I also waited until David was 2...so he was ready). Out of sight out of mind.

Oh another thing. I only put water in their bottles after 18 months. Eden didn't like it. She had a choice: bottle with water or sippy with milk. Of course Eden chose the bottle but I think it helped her become less attached.

Bailey is so cute.

Unknown said...

Hooray! You now have a diaper free house! Helping her out on the potty isn't going to be any more time consuming than changing her diaper, but now you have a little extra money in your pocket. :) I don't know what to tell you about the bottle. My kids were totally indifferent when I took theirs away. I did have a friend say she snipped off the tops of the bottles (like people sometimes do with binkies) and then the milk just came out like a normal cup and the kid gave up because the bottle was broken.

JEN MARX said...

haha I love it! At least you have the swash to clean things up. :)

heather said...

I love that picture, it made me laugh. No suggestions about the bottle. I was always so freaked out that they would get attached that I took them off early...I am a mean mom that way I guess. You do what you gotta do to survive.

Sarah said...

Yes get the nuby sippy that looks like a bottle. They have a yellow and blue one with a nipple that looks like a bottle and then it also has 2 diff nipples it comes with and you change them after a week. It totally worked with Daegan and he LOVED his bottles.