Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Feb. 17, 2009 Started Good, Ended Bad

Here's the run down of my day...
9 am on the treadmill for an awesome 1 hour workout. So good, I felt my heart pumping blood through my viens for hours! It felt great.







11 am off to the temple with the primary pres. Kathy Crosier. It was a nice, small session at a great time of day (no afternoon sleepies!)



2 pm home from the temple, house is trashed. Put a little effort into cleaning it while I talk to my mom on the phone for the second time today (will talk twice more before the day is through)

3 pm Addie's dance class. She is so darn fun to watch. I love this part of my Tuesdays

4 pm home to make cookies scouts and dinner while I talk to my sister on the phone. When John and I were first married, my sister gave me this recipe for cookies. I have never found a better one and wanted to share (sorry Cam, I have changed it a little)
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup peanut butter
cream these ingredients together well
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1 bag milk chocolate chips
Mix well. Eat 3 cookies worth of cookie dough and bake the rest at 325 for 12-14 minutes
Whenever I make a different recipe John gets mad and says it's never as good. Try it out and let me know.
Dinner was a new recipe... my very first "Dinner Braid." I went to this bread class called Pantry Secrets. If you have not learned this method of bread making, you are missing out! I am a horrid bread maker, but have had so much success with this. I am loving it. So I made a quick bach of dough, rolled it out on a cookie sheet, cut horizontal strips down the sides, filled the middle (can be filled with anything) with a "leftover concoction" (ham, peas, mushrooms, and cream of mushroom soup- I know, yuck to me, but yum to John), then braided my cut strips back and forth (the kids helped with this part and thought it was so cool).
Baked this baby for about 20 minutes and it's dinner! Meat, bread and vegetable all in one! Wasn't a huge hit, but I think with a better filling, I'll get more enthusiasum. It still got eatten up!
Here's where everything goes down hill. I have to run out the door to scouts (my primary calling puts me over scouts, so I'm back in). I was having the boys help me with centerpieces and invitations for the blue and gold banquet. The plan was for the boys to finish painting something they had started and I would take the last half hour. I showed up 10 minutes late for scouts, but 20 minutes early for my part. All the scouts were sitting in cars in the parking lot! All the doors were locked and NO leaders were there. I got the attention of someone in the church and we headed in. Of the 4 scout leaders that should have been there, one called to tell me he was sick. I never heard anything from the other 3 and they never showed, so I just took over. I guess they are lucky that I was coming and didn't come at my scheduled time. I busied the boys with tying ribbon, cutting paper, and placing brads and pushed my frustration with the leaders to the side, so I could be kind to the boys. One of the boys had the responsibility to bring treats for his den. There are only four boys in his den and he wasn't informed that 2 dens were combining tonight, so he only had 4 treats with 6 boys there. Luckily, I had brought my speciality cookies. As I was busy with something, he passed out the treats, leaving out himself and a down syndrome boy. When our cute special needs boy saw the treat, he said "I love chocolate cake!" (it was brownies). I said "Who is willing to share with Kai?" Silence. I looked at each of them and they avoided my stare. Alec, the boy who had brought them, said "I didn't even get one for myself." "Thanks for sacrificing, Alec," I said to him "Who will sacrifice half of theirs for Kai? We still have cookies" No one answered. I made Kai happy by giving him 2 cookies, but I was so disappointed in my primary boys. I am so sad they weren't better.
John had dropped me off at the church, then came back with the cookies that I forgot, then came back to get me. I grumped out to the car and huffed myself in. When we got home I said "Thanks for running back and forth for me." And do you know what John said to me? "Anything for you"
I felt better until I walked in and saw the state of the house! Now, kitchen is clean, toys are put away, laundry folded, kids in bed, American Idol is on and my bathtub is calling my name! Night Night.
P.S. Still waiting for the kittens to come. I am thinking another week or so. I have been watching cat deliveries on youtube and reading up on signs of labor and complications in delivery. I even pulled out some rubber gloves, just in case. I'm sure I'll wake up one morning and there will be kittens on my bathroom rug. I will be so sad!

13 comments:

Harmony said...

Sorry about the bad day. My daughter is freaking out over the picture of your cookies. She keeps saying, "I yant a tootie! I yant a tootie!" I'm going to write the recipe down right now and try it out. I'll let you know what my kids think. I can't eat them because of the PB, but they sound really good!

Cami said...

Bummer Kim, I'm sorry. Hope all is better now! What's worse than coming home from a bad night to a messy house? But, your new blog background is cute!

Hayward Family said...

K, so.. you are one of the BUSIEST mommies I know!! You do SO MUCH! Good for you! You are a good little homemaker and mother and wife and community member!! You are a good example to me! Good job! I would have also been disappointed in the boys.. how sad! :( Poor Kai.. Good thing you gave him 2 cookies!!

Morkthefied said...

I can't believe those boys, Kim. I would be dying if that was one of my boys. I would be giving him the whatfor if I knew my boy didn't share a brownie with a special needs boy. Would you please let me know if my girls do something like that during primary? That little Kai is so cute and sweet. And I've said it before, but I'll say it again, your husband is an angel, but then, so are you.

Leslie said...

OH I herd it was such a joke KIM!! and I am soooo embarressed!! about Alec!! I even put in 1 extra brownie even though the box said enough for 4 boys, I had NO IDEA about needing 6!!!!!??? I get soooo frustrated at Alec's den leaders, half the time I am NEVER informed of where scouts is and what time??? now that it's at the church all the time I know that, but before they would rarely let me know when and where, I would call and e mail them and get no response!! so for a while there I said "fine, if they don't care I don't care, the hell with them!!" I KNOW not a good attitude to have!! sorry!! =( or sometimes they would send me an e mail an hour or half hour before scouts and thank gosh I checked my e mail. OH I get soooooooooo frustrated with them!!! I am soooo sorry about Tuesday night! I wish Andy would have stayed to help you! =( sorry about Alec not wanting to share and for us messing up the brownie count! =( that is just uncalled for for what those leaders left for you to have to manage!!!!! I would vent to a "higher authority" any how I can see I needed to vent to you about it. Thanks for sharing, OH and that dinner looked soooo good!! and so did those cookies!!!

Leslie said...

As I read your post again maybe I didn't get it the first time! maybe my son did share!! I hope so!! let me know! thanks!! so sorry for the bad night! =(

Jon and Tasha Fam said...

WOW!! what a day:) You are one busy lady!! where do you get the time to do all that." SUPERWOMAN" I will have to try those cookies they look YUMMY!!!

Tiff said...

I was the primary president in my last ward and I HATED when people would slack off in their callings at the expense of the kids! I'm sorry for your bad day.

Holly said...

I am completely embarassed to admit that one of those leaders that didn't show up was my husband. I am SO sorry I hate when people do that to me. I will definetly give him an ear full. You may just have to tell ME his schedule so I can get him to the meetings. I have to remind him 2 or 3 times a day to do something I've asked him for. Again, I am sorry, Kim. I know he has good intentions but he gets so busy and he doesn't manage his time well. Sorry.
I really enjoy reading your blog, though, it is one of my favorites. Take care.

Unknown said...

Hey, I am completely embarressed to admit that one of the other posts was my wife throwing me under the bus. Although it is true that i do get busy and she does have to remind me of stuff, in this case i am completely innocent. I am sorry and would have tried to be there if i knew the situation. Thank you for letting me clear my good name.

Janet said...

Kim, to answer your question/comment on my blog. We were at the Sundance Nordic Center which does have a trail that heads into Aspen Grove. I think you should definitely go to the Sundance Nordic Center (go past the ski resort almost to Aspen Grove and turn left when you see the sign on the right) they have skis to rent and the trails are groomed and easy to follow. All you have to do it show up!(and pay the money) Have fun!

heather said...

Sounds like an awesome day, with a downer at the end, you are good at turning things around though. I am going to try that recipe, I will let you know as soon as I can eat chocolate again...sad day.

Cyndi said...

I made your cookies today. I have never added peanut butter with my chocolate chip cookies. It is a different taste. Still a big hit though. Thanks!
I have heard about that bread lady. When we lived in Alabama my mom used to make those bread braids every Christmas. She would fill them with a cherry or cinnamon & sugar and shape it like a candy cane. We LOVED them. Good luck with the kittens.