Monday, November 3, 2008

Successful Family Home Evening...

Excuse the long journaling. I don't do this often but am having a little success and want to share...
We have recently decided that we need to be really great about Family Home Evening. We always have it, but sometimes it's just something like...we are out on an errand and say "this is family night" or just play a game and say "this is family night." We really wanted to take advantage of this night set aside to teach and bear testimony to our children, also to talk about problems and successes in our family. We also want to have fun as a family. Starting this now will make it easy for us to do as life gets busier and the kids get older. My family growing up followed this council to a T. I'm so thankful for the memories and lessons I have from FHE as a child and youth and want my children to have the same experiences.
Three weeks ago we had a movie night (a personal favorite of mine). I let the kids pick out treats at the store and a movie at blockbuster. This was a total hit and great fun time for the family together.
Last week we talked about jobs in the family. Dad's job is to make money, Mom's job is to cook and clean. Kids job is to do chores, clean their toys, eat their dinner, etc. It was nice to teach them that everyone has to do their jobs to make the home and family run smoothly. We also touched a bit on entitlement; you don't get something just because you want it. They were very receptive. Addie kept saying all week "I'm doing my job by being kind."
Tonight we talked about safety. Now that Austin rides the bus to school, I thought it would be important to talk about not getting into anyones car or talking to strangers. We talked about what to do if you get lost at the store. I heard something a while back about "stranger danger." We teach our kids that strangers are scary and people we know are safe. Some strangers aren't scary and some people we know aren't safe. So I told them, if they get lost in a store, they need to find someone that works there or a mom WITH kids and ask for help. We also had to go into not letting people touch you inappropriately. To continue on the safety theme, we practiced what to do in case of a fire and earthquake. That was a fun game for them. We put the kids in bed to pretend like they were sleeping and set off the fire alarm. They practiced crawling down the stairs and getting out the front and back doors. We set up a meeting place and told to them run to the neighbors and ring the doorbell if they can't find us.
Other plans I have for the month are "giving thanks," "being healthy," and I think we'll make a Christmas count down at the end of the month.
I am feeling like a responsible parent and confident that my children are a little more informed than they were this morning. I can't begin to name the blessing I know we will receive from keeping this council. I know it is guidance from God and I am feeling more and more urgently the need to protect my family from everything evil. This is one of my attempts to make my home a safe place where my children can always come and be guided, taught, and loved. I want them to know that this is a place where the spirit dwells, that mom and dad have testimonies of God, and that these things we are teaching will lead to happiness. We need this to SAVE our children!
Good luck in your own endeavors!

5 comments:

Janet said...

Have you heard of Janeen Brady's "The Safety Kids?" It's music that teaches about the safety issues you're talking about. I gave it to my grandkids and they know all the songs. One is "Look for a grandma or mother with children." Good job on FHE!

heather said...

We have tried more recently to do better also, it is hard with little kiddos. But I feel the importance of it, and it may not always run smoothly and right now Talyse may be the only one that gets anything out of it,but I feel better knowing I am doing what I am supposed to. Those are great ideas. Come up with some more and post them, it would make my job easier...j/k. I did e-mail you, in case you didn't see it. I was not ignoring you.

Harmony said...

Somehow I missed this post. I guess I distracted by your craftiness of the above post. Anyway, good ideas. We've been doing great with FHE (if I do say so myself) for the past month. We've also been doing nightly scripture study. I've really noticed a change in the atmosphere at our house. I really admire your dedication to and testimony of the gospel.

one more thing, as far as safety goes. Do you have a "password"? My little guy and I have a "password". If someone else has to pick him up from school in an emergency he knows to ask for the password. If they get it right he knows it's safe. We've decided to change it once and a while, and he knows he will ask EVERYONE, even if it's grandma. I decided it was better to not make exceptions to the rule.

Heidi said...

Kim you are such an awesome mom! You're such a good example and a big strength to all of us other moms.

Jami said...

Wow, great ideas Kim. You are amazing, I just adore you!