Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Red Tide

If anyone is an expert (or knows anything) about red tide, please let me know! Apparently we have been experiencing it here. What we have found online is that there is some sort of excess growth of algae in the water, which takes all the oxygen from the fish and kills them. Which results in a beach full of all kinds of dead fish. Which results in all kinds of rotten fish the next day. Which results in dozens of vultures circling the shore. Which results in the Jonas' taking a break from the beach for a few days. Here are some of the fish we found on the beach.
You can imagine my anxiety level rising at seeing these eels about every ten feet and my kids not watching where they're walking. They were so creepy.

This is kind of cool. It's a puffer fish (I think that's it's technical name). They are really neat looking and not as creepy as the eels, but still didn't help with my anxiety level!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Creepy. I don't like the snake looking thing...

Stacy said...

Crazy and nasty! Looks like you are having so much fun. How much longer are you there for?

Cami said...

kim, that is creepy, and sad. Hope it doesn't last much longer so you can get a little more beach time in...love all the pics. the family ones are sooo great! i will email you later.

Emily Christensen said...

Hey Kim,
Sorry that we left yesterday without coming to say goodbye. We were really slow getting going and Kirt was in a hurry to get on the road. I said that we should come and say goodbye to you guys and he said that we said goodbye the night before. I think he was mostly just grouchy at me. It was really fun to get to meet you guys and hang out with you. Keep in touch. emilysuechris@hotmail.com

Life is a Journey said...

Hey Kim! looks like a fun vacation!! We miss you guys! How are you and the ward out there? I can't believe how big Bailey is getting? She must be walking about now!! Wow!

Kelly Fam said...

that is gross gross gross. Cool fish though. That would totallly gross me out!!