Monday, June 16, 2008

My Dad...

We are on Tico time, so this post is, of course late!
I have posted much about love and adoration for the father of my children, my sweet husband. You all know that he is pure perfection to me. However, in honor of Father's Day, I want to write about my own father, Jonn Dale Claybaugh...
I am having trouble starting, as I feel that the words I am writing are not worthy to describe him or my feelings for him. Most of my Gospel knowledge is from my dad. We held regular scripture study in our home where he would constantly stop and explain what was going on in an animated and exciting way. What would I do without my love and understanding of the Book of Mormon? He was also my seminary teacher my junior year of high school! There I learned that his love is limitless, his tears are free flowing, his knowledge is deep, and his testimony is firm. He is my go-to man on any doctorinal question I have (and in having a question answered, you not only get your answer, but he will always throw in a part of his testimony, so it always seems to become a spiritual experience).
He is the most tenderhearted man I know. He is so gentle with the new grandbabies and eternally patient with my strongwilled Adeline. Wait, I think I taught him that patience as he dealt with me! I can honestly say I have never once been yelled at by my dad. Not that I have never been punished by him! His punishments are stern talks that are full of scriptural passages, shakes of guilt, lots of disappointment, and all wrapped in love.
My dad is a cool old surfer dude. He loves the beach and is still a skilled body surfer. Sometimes (especially here in CR) I will see these older men hanging around the beach in only a pair of "trunks" with thier surf board propped in the sand. Looks like their lives are care free and full of sun, sand and waves. How my dad would love that life!! But he has dedicated his life to higher things...being a devoted husband, an involved father, a hard working church employee and a servant of the Lord in any way.
I have said this many times, but seems appropriate to say again in my Father's Day post...I know of the love that my Father in Heaven has for me because of the love my earthly father has shown to me in countless ways. This is what has given me the confidence to be who I am today. Where would I be without the knowledge that I am desperately loved and am worth "more than rubies"?
How I wish I could go on and on! Thank you, Dad, for being the first man in my life and showing me how things should be. You are my first love! I owe you a nice dinner with just me and you when I get back.
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful, Kim!

Cami said...

Wow, I look very ungrateful next to you. But, can I just ditto all of that? Except the part about teaching him patience, that was all you! jk

Harmony said...

I think I'm going to start coming to your blog and plagiarizing your work. You have a way with words Ms. Jonas!

Jonn & Judy Claybaugh said...

My little Kimberlina--thank you for saying such nice things, even though it's all exaggerated (a gift you inherited from Mom!). You are a wonderful, perfect daugher. I love you! Dad

Andrea J said...

Great Dads are the best, thank goodness for them.