Sunday, January 9, 2011

Getting Through the Winter

I'm not gonna lie...

It's been a rough winter.

Let me share with you some things that will help me survive (and maybe you too!)

If you live in a snowy climate, you HAVE to pick up a winter sport if you want to keep your sanity. I'd like to do a little more cross-country skiingand snow shoeing (I just went for the first time over the weekend). It gets me out of my house and my blood flowing, great cure for cabin fever!
Yoga pants are a staple for me as I go through that "too fat for normal clothes, but not quite into maternity clothes" phase. I have 2 pairs and it's not enough.
Mango smoothies. MMMMMMMM. Who's body doesn't yearn for fresh fruit when there's snow on the ground? A smoothie always hits the spot for me.
Long sleeved tee in every color of the rainbow. What better to pair with your yoga pants while you cook dinner, have under a cardigan or down vest or use as a base layer during winter sports? I wear one every day.
Hounds tooth scarf. I got myself this in Paris because the hotel where we stayed had hounds tooth carpet and it was a fun way for me to bring that home. I've found that I love it. It's simple over a red long sleeved tee or dressed up with my white P coat. You don't have to do hounds tooth, I think any black and white scarf will do.
Flower hair accessories. Perfect way to dress up a ponytail (and you better believe I'm going to be sportin' a ponytail plenty over the next 6 months)
Gray cardigan. I can't stop buying them. I think I have 4 now in different shades, weights and sleeve lengths. I love them (again) over any color long sleeved tee, on top of a short sleeved dress or tee that can go from summer to winter wear or even with a white collared shirt. The last thing I am is any kind of fashion expert, but I am loving gray with every color this winter. I feel fun in toned down, wintery sort of way.
Fruity tootsie rolls. Much to my sister's dismay, I am no longer a chocolate girl (GASP). Seriously, if you know me, you may have just fallen off your chair. Pregnancy makes me crazy and this is part of it. Eat on!
Nude fishnets. I wear these to church almost every single Sunday of the winter. I hate it when my knees are the only skin showing between my boots and my dress. Let's be honest, knees are ugly. And extra white, unshaven knees that may or may not look like they're oozing out of my boots just don't need to be available to the eye. BUT (and this is where the crazy comes in), I don't like to wear the same color tights as boots because I don't want them to mesh together and look like I'm wearing leggings (I do NOT have the hips for leggings). Nude fishnets are the perfect fix to cover my chubby knees while not making me look monochromatic.


Better With You. This is my new favorite sitcom. It's on ABC on Wednesday nights. It's hysterical and clean!! The premise is how these 3 couples react differently to the same situation due to their different stages in their relationships. It's darling and totally worthy of the DVRTo all of you who struggle through these months with me...

I've got nothing else!

Good Luck

5 comments:

Cyndi said...

Great post. I now want a smoothie and another pair of yoga pants.

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. What a lucky kid!

SUMMER said...

Oh my gosh! I saw the forecast this week for UT! 20's for the high and single digits for the low. I can't believe how cold it is. Eek! That Better with you show looks great and I think I may have to check it out. Thanks for the tip. And sorry we were no fun last month. We were SO sick the whole month! It was all a blur. And actually B is still sick and I have to take her in today. She hasn't gotten over it from Christmas Day!

Leslie said...

Great post! you need to share with me or us where you get all the stuff, like the yoga pants, the long sleeved tee's, and the mango smoothies, and fishnets? :) Thanks!

Todd Claybaugh said...

And HOCKEY! What better way to send your husband out of the house for a few hours than freezing your sports court for a few months out of the year?

Dana DeLuca said...

Funny, I just bought my third grey cardigan today. I got 9 long sleeve old navy tshirts in different colors for Christmas. Great minds think alike. I miss you and wish I was there with you to fight the winter BLAHS...
I will call you this week.
Love you
Dana
PS I saw that show advertised on the internet, but we don't get it here, save it for me and we can have marshmallow popcorn and a movie night...