Saturday, November 20, 2010

Conversations with Adeline

How I love my Addie Girl. She is 5 going on 16. Allow me to prove this point with a few stories...
(Waking her up on Saturday morning for dance dress rehearsal. She usually sleeps until 10am)
Me "Addie it's time to wake up"
A "No. I want to sleep longer"
Me "You need to go to your dance class"
A "What I need is more sleep!!" (and dramatically throwing her covers over her head)
My first thought was "How unfair that I am dealing with this now. I thought I had 10 more years"

Adeline can have quite the sassy mouth and is no stranger to soap in it. One day I was wandering the house cleaning up and she was on my heels, sassing every other word. I finally got tired of listening to it and turned on her
Me "Addie I'm sick of you acting like a snot. I'm sick of you saying mean things to your sister. I'm sick of you sassing. I'm sick of..."
(interrupting me with her hand on her hip and her eyes rolling)
"Well, I'm sick of you saying sick"

Recently I bought "The Sound of Music" and we watched it 3 times in 3 days. On the third day I walked in on her watching Liesl and Rolfe singing '16 going on 17' and she said to me longingly
"She's so lucky. She has a boyfriend"

Just getting home from kindergarten one day she says to me
"Mom, someone at my table at school is going to marry Taylor AAAND Sam."
Me "Really? Who?"
A "ME!!!"

Another day just home from school
A "Mom, you should've seen Taylor today. He was dressed soooo cute. I'm in love with him."

What's a mom supposed to do?

2 comments:

Brittany said...

That picture is worth a thousand words. She's super cute...headstrong too!! That will get her far in life. But for now, I don't know what to tell you. The story about needing more sleep had me laughing out loud. :)

Janet said...

Hmm - sounds like her mother? . . .