Monday, October 22, 2007

Talk is Cheap

My Mom!
My #1 example of selfless service
(in the hospital with Addie when
she had surgery)
So one reason I avoided blogging for so long is that I didn't want to be making my personal thoughts public domain. Although I will avoid this as much as possible, I hope this is at least thought provoking to you...
A comment made by a guest on Oprah today is why I am writing this. He is terminally ill and was talking about the first weeks after finding out he had stage four cancer. He said that there were people who would say "Call if you need anything." Then there are people who just drop off dinner or take the kids for the afternoon without being asked. My thoughts immediately shot back to the three weeks I spent on bed rest at the end of my pregnancy with Bailey. I had countless people call and say "Call if you need anything." Yeah Right! Like I really was ever going to call anyone and say "Can you bring dinner tonight?" It's one thing to call someone in need and tell them to call if they need anything...it's quite another to just do what you know needs to be done.
We are smart, able women here. We have had babies. We have been sick, had surgery, moved homes, had bad days. We know what is needed by who.
I loved the people that would just drop off dinner or take my kids out. I even had a friend come over with foot lotion and rub my feet. How wonderful!
I just want to step up my service a little bit and actually DO, not just offer. I truly believe "Talk is Cheap."


Finally off bed rest
and on my way
to have Bailey!













7 comments:

Cami said...

I agree, I want to be more like mom too! I didn't watch Oprah because I hate the sad ones and I figured that would be a tear jerker. I bet all those people watching that called and said that felt pretty bad hearing about themselves being so selfish!

Janice said...

Thanks so much for that...so true and a good reminder for all of us.

Cyndi said...

Amen! Can I get a Alleluia? Oh, if you need anything email me...ha,ha.

Cyndi said...

Also, you have a fabulous mom!

Andrea J said...

I can hear you talking when I read your words. Thanks for the good reminder - talk is cheap.

Jayme said...

Hi Kim!! I love blogs. They are such a good way to keep up with everyone. Your family is SO cute. I love it.

Anonymous said...

I agree! Your Mom is the best example of selfless service around! I'm lucky that I get to walk with her everyday and hope that some of that will rub off on me! (this is Janet aka Nanajan)