Sunday, May 10, 2009

I'm a Lucky Mom Because...

...My kids love me so much, they climb all over me in church.


I'm a lucky mom because when I wipe a dirty face, I get to see a bright smile.


I'm a lucky mom because my kids make up all kinds of excuses to stay up late with me.


I'm a lucky mom because I'm the only one in all the world that gets quiet moments in the middle of the night with my baby.

I'm a lucky mom because when I get puked on, I know it's because I'm the only one who can offer comfort.


I'm a lucky mom because my kids want to eat food prepared by me ever hour or so (I didn't say they always like it).


I'm a lucky mom because all the laundry I do is from perfectly healthy children playing the day away.


I'm a lucky mom because my children love for me to sing to them even though I have a horrible voice.


I'm a lucky mom because going to sporting events means bringing your own lawn chair and yelling things like "KICK AND RUN" and "GIVE SOMEONE ELSE A TURN."


I'm a lucky mom because pee on the toilet seat means we've got potty trained kids in the house.


I'm a lucky mom because my kids think I'm good at bouncing them on the tramp.


I'm a lucky mom because I never have to go to the grocery store alone.


I'm a lucky mom because Spray and Wash is my friend.


I'm a lucky mom because taking a shower in privacy is a treat.


I'm a lucky because I get to comb rats out of little girls hair each morning. This means I have girls with hair!!


I'm a lucky mom because I am the first person my kids want to see when they wake up in the morning.


I'm a lucky mom because my kisses make all ouchies better.

I'm a lucky mom because a wet bathroom floor means clean kids.


I'm a lucky mom because if I were doing anything else in life I would be thinking "I wish I were a mom."

I'm a lucky mom because my kids have a dad who is totally dedicated to them and to me.

I'm a lucky mom because I am surrounded by many amazing moms to teach me how to be better.

A few weeks ago I sat in church, in utter frustration, because Bailey and Adeline both wanted to be on my lap and Austin wanted me to read to him. I was trying to listen and keep them quiet and failing at both. Tears burned my eyes as I thought "Can I do this?"
Somehow, in that moment of torment, my mind flipped and I thought "I'm a lucky mom because my kids love me so much, they climb all over me in church." What if they didn't want to sit by me? Now that's reason to cry! My body absorbed the tears. I smiled and pulled all my kids closer to me. Now everyday chores make me feel lucky!! And that's how I birthed this post.

12 comments:

Morkthefied said...

I was feeling overwhelmed before I went to church today, and then we sat behind a family with seven children, six of them boys. My thoughts changed from, "Woe is me" to "At least I only have three." And even something as small as that, and I felt better about my life. I didn't feel so "picked on." Great post on this fine Mother's Day. Hope you had a good one!

Morkthefied said...

I was feeling overwhelmed before I went to church today, and then we sat behind a family with seven children, six of them boys. My thoughts changed from, "Woe is me" to "At least I only have three." And even something as small as that, and I felt better about my life. I didn't feel so "picked on." Great post on this fine Mother's Day. Hope you had a good one!

Morkthefied said...

Sorry for the double post. My computer must be running a touch slow.

Cami said...

Thanks for the reminder! You always have the cutest ideas for posts and pull them off in such creative ways!

Leslie said...

Those were great reminders!!!! I loved reading them!!! thanks!! and hope you had a great Mother's day! :)

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

that is really great. i think we all need to remember those things as we go about our days so we can really enjoy and embrace their childhood and our motherhood.

Jami said...

You always have such a great attitude. I've actually been thinking about this and trying to enjoy my kids more. You always know just how to say it, thanks!

Prettie Me Pink said...

That was just great Kim!! You are so true, and thanks for bringing tears of joy to my eyes, and i remember doing those things with my children.

Trav and Linds said...

So cute!!! I love the post, and what a good reminder. It is definitely easy to have a bad attitude about all the things we do as moms, but it definitely is so rewarding!

Harmony said...

I always love reading your posts! You are super mom! :)

heather said...

You are such an awesome mom, because you can be positive about anything. I am still working on that, being pregnant hasn't been helping me very much. Thanks for seeing the good and sharing it.

Hayward Family said...

You are seriously an amazing writer! Did you seriously come up with all those on your own? You are a NATURAL!! I feel the same way.. I feel SO BLESSED to be a mom! You are a GREAT mom!!