Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tis the Season to be JOLLY!

A few weeks ago I announced to my family "Mom will not do anything this Christmas season that is stressful. So who wants McDonalds for dinner tonight?"
I just didn't want to get all caught up in buying and wrapping a million presents, making a million treats (that I eat and then feel guilty about), sending a million cards, delivering a million gifts, etc, etc, etc. Not that I didn't want to do these things, I just really didn't want them to stress me out. Maybe just making the decision has helped, but my season so far has been completely jolly. I still hand made 75 cards and 35 jars of hot fudge (my neighbor gift), decorated my two Christmas trees...
One family tree with all the kids fun decorations


And one for me to have in the front window with all white decorations




I also went to "Scrooge" with my family. This is a tradition of ours that my Grandma Marilynn and Grandpa Jerry started about 100 years ago. This year was extra special because it was Adeline's first year (Austin's second). It is so neat to pass this tradition on to a new generation. They talked about it and even played "Scrooge" for days after. This really brings Christmas into my heart and the holidays just wouldn't be the holidays without it. Cami said it best "If you don't know this story then shame on you!"
Here's half the group
And the whole group. We had a few new comers this year.
Adeline loved all the "princesses" When we were little, we loved to sit on the end and touch all the puffy dresses as they walked by.

The best thing we have done this year has been to go out of our comfort zone to bring joy to others. We practiced for weeks to have our children reinact the nativity. Austin was Joseph, Addie was Mary and Bailey was an angel. They acted it out as I read from Luke 2, then they sang this years new primary Christmas song. We took this "performance" along with some treats and poinsettias to the widdows in our ward. It was so neat to get to know these strong and faithful women and to let them get to know our family. They have been through trails that blow my mind, yet are still happy, functional and God fearing human beings. Although it took a lot of time this has been a real blessing to our family and hopefully we are teaching our children to lose themselves in the holidays. Because we all know what it's really about...
PS I'll post a video of our homemade nativity soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello,

I was looking around for a nice drawn Nativity scene when I cam upon this one... WOW!

Great job on the Blog I hope all is well with your family. I have included the URL to my Christmas page, I thought you might enjoy it.

Merry Christmas!

http://users.frii.com/carnazzo/MerryChristmas.html



John Carnazzo
johncarnazzo@frii.com