Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Theme

Each year our family has a theme for the school year. If you remember, last year we focused on forming good habits with the important things needing to be done EVERYDAY!

This year's theme came from much thought and prayer. It is something that I have gained a strong testimony of through slight trail and error. I think it's important to learn early in life that:

OBEDIENCE
BRINGS
HAPPINESS


We have revised affirmations for this year too. Affirmations are said every morning before school. I think hard about truths I want my children to learn and personal things our family can work on, that's how I come up with them. Here are this years:

  • I am happy when I obey
  • I love to serve family
  • I think of others first
  • I am kind and share with my family and friends
  • I am smart, healthy, and clean
  • I love to go to school to learn and work hard
  • I don’t complain about my hair or clothes
  • I always talk politely
  • I have good manners
  • I love to read, reading is fun
  • I chose friends who are kind and good
  • I can do hard things
  • I always choose the right
  • I am a child of Godm a child of God
Here's to a great school year!

3 comments:

Andrea J said...

I need more information. Do the kids do this grudgingly most mornings, never, like to do it, a combination? Did you notice them really internalizing your messages last year? Do certain kids get it more than others?

Jolley's said...

I love that idea! Way to go mamma! But man, that is quite the mouthful of things to say each morning in front of the mirror. I'm lucky if I get my kids to even LOOK in the mirror before they head to school, much less actually say something ;)

TJ said...

Brilliant mothering!